Saturday, October 25, 2008

Gestational Diabetes

My doctor ordered a gestational diabetes test for me to see how my body is handling sugar during the pregnancy. Many may know how this test is performed, but for those that don't, I'll explain. First, it's a good idea to fast for 10 to 12 hours. Then, after you arrive where the blood is being drawn, a bottle of sugary liquid is handed to you to drink. I was told it tastes like flat 7-up. This was pretty true and pretty sweet too. Some people actually vomit after drinking this solution and have to repeat the test a different day. Everything stayed down for me. :) After an hour, the blood is drawn. When I see my doctor next, she will let me know the results. If she is concerned, I am sent for another test where you drink the sugary liquid again and the blood is tested every hour for a 3 hour period. Only after these results test positive too, would the doctor give a diagnoses of gestational diabetes. Of course, I am praying against this disease.

No comments: